Community garden

Friday, 21 April 2017

School holidays and ordinary days.

Holidays, Im so glad they are here, though disapointed the first week is nearly over already! 

The boys have "soul fever".  Tired from a long first term at school, a little run down, disconnected, out of sorts.  This week has been a combination of a couple of trips out and about and lots of time spent at home.  Resting, watching movies, eating nourishing food and simply spending much needed time togeather. 

They set up their tent in the backyard and have loved sleeping in that!  Mostly, though have snuck into their own beds a couple of times, teddies and precious softies in arms when the wind has picked up and shaken their tent!  Ha, my sweet boys.  Such a desire to be big, but the reality is they are still little at heart.   

Excuse the bad photo, but you see that?  It's a roof!  And the frame for the walls of the extension. 

The boys are in love with marbles at the moment, here they are making marble runs with their Grimms rainbow. 

Chatting, chilling out....I't turning a blind eye to the mess, because play and creativity is messy right? 

We enjoyed a morning out at the Tanunda vintage festival.  Gosh I love the Barossa!

Bringing in rhythem, and hot nourishing lunches togeather.  A treat in the school holidays. 

My beautiful hand made mug from a local business Ottimade I got from the markets.  So beautiful, a special treat.  I have long admired her beautiful, simple, earthy work, but finally I have a piece!

The reality of renovating on a tight budget.  We did a big push to get the roof on.  Now we are skimp for a few weeks.  There is lots of pasta, soups and slow cooked roasts on the menu!  I have HUGE bag of lentils a local farmer kindly gave me from their crop - time to work out what to actually DO with them.  Im thinking a curry?  I did not grow up eating lentils and legumes, I quite enjoy them though I'm not very good at preparing them. 
I have promised the boys pom  pom making, and I have sourdough to prepare so I best be off. 
Blessings,
Emma

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy the rest of those school holiday days, Emma. I always think they go too fast! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're all having a great time! I was keen to get to those markets too, but had other thingd going on. Perhaps next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been lovely. :) Hope you guys are having a good time too! Xx

      Delete
  3. We love the school holidays here too Emma. Enjoy the rest of them together.

    Your boys look like they get along together so well. It's great to see. Pom Pom making, love it. We have made so many pom poms over the years. I am the one who ends up having to do the cutting. Enjoy every moment.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days they get along well, other days they scream blue murder at eachother. Its my morning gamble. ;)

      I too did all the cutting!

      xx

      Delete
  4. I have a crock pot recipe for Lentil Soup (I haven't tried it), but is says to wash 500g lentils and place in the crock-pot with 8 cups of water, add 250 g bacon bones, 1 large onion chopped, 2 stalks of celery sliced, 1 large carrot sliced, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of thyme. Cook on Low for 8 to 14 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours. Remove bones. Serves 8. For cream of lentil soup add 1 cup of cream before serving and heat through. I guess if you were making the soup on stove top instead of crockpot more water may be needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri, I have a crock pot also. I might try it over the weekend.

      xx

      Delete
  5. These holidays feel like they have passed quickly, I'm not sure my 3 are ready to ready to return to school this week. My hubby has been paving our outdoor eating area, next holidays he'll build a roof and BBQ. Then in Jan we can renovate our kitchen :) Your extension looks like it's coming together nicely.
    I make a lentil curry type meal that I serve with rice and pappadums. I fry some onions and garlic, then add some diced carrots and pumpkin, once they have softened a little I add some cumin/coriander and paprika and then a tin of tomatoes. You can add some dried chilli as well. This post has a lentil soup: https://frugalqueen.co.uk/2017/01/14/cheap-and-healthy-vegetarian-recipes/
    Melissa (Melsa).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love the school holidays too ... the more relaxed mornings, no rushing about. My boys were often happy to just be home playing with their marbles too. Those times pass by so quickly Emma ... make the most of every moment (as I know you do). Have a wonderful week. Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like your boys are enjoying their holiday! I adore handmade mugs too- they make a cup of tea even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cooler days certainly call for warming soups and stews! I think I'll be making a batch of pea and ham soup this coming weekend. We'll eat some and freeze the rest for later. Is that corn bread you have with your soup, it looks good!

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I responded to this, but time was a blur a few weeks ago. Your extension is coming along nicely, and hopefully will be enclosed soon. Winter is coming! Temps go down pretty low in SA. Stay warm. Are you cooking on your wood-fire oven much?

    Dahl is an excellent recipe to cook with lentils. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the main part of the house is partitioned off so it is enclosed as such, the house is secure and lockable. One the extension is done, the partition will come down and the space opened up. I cannot wait, its feeling very cramped. :/

      Not cooking much on it yet, only just lit it for the first time last weekend and cooked spuds in it. We still need to pop a flu up the chimmney to help it draw better. you know, a job on the list of 5000 other jobs. ;)

      Dahl is a great suggestion thanks! And I hope things are calmer now for you. xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!